2015 Officers/ChairpersonsPresident: Betty Sain, RN, BC, BC
Vice-President: Donna Wadewitz
Secretary: Cathe Burleson, RN, CPAN
Treasurer: Terry Rogers, RN
Planning Committee: Suzie Fritts, RN and Nancy Voss Coleman, BSN, RN
Publicity/Membership Committee: Michelle Jones, BSN, RN
CM-NGNA Web site: Christy Woodson, RN
Upcoming Meetings2015 meeting dates: All 3:30-5:00 p.m. in the Video Conference Room at Pardee Hospital
- February 12th (“Walk a Mile in My Shoes” will be presented by the Students from South College and instructor, Nancy Voss-Coleman)
- May 14th
- August 13th
- November 12th
Other Important News:
Previous Meeting Presentations - VERY INFORMATIVE MATERIAL...PLEASE REVIEW!
May 2013 - "Helping the Elderly Stay Active in and out of the Acute Care Setting" presented by Barbara Shock, PTA
Click here to download
March 2013 - "Polypharmacy and Medication Related Challenges in the Geriatric Patient" presented by Robyn Bryson, PharmD and Kerri Hagedorn, PharmD, BCPS
- Beers Criteria
- Polypharmacy and Medication-Related Challenges in the Geriatric Patient
- Potentially Harmful Drugs in the Elderly: Beers List
- STARTing and STOPPing Medications in the Elderly
January 2013 - "PTSD: Not Just in the Military However..." presented by Joyce Hillman, RN, BSN, CPAN, CPAPA
Click here to download
November 2012 - "Nutritional Care of Older Adults" presented by Laurie Steenwyk, M.Ed., RD, LDN Click here to download
Please tell us what you think and what you look to get from your local chapter...We value your feedback!
- 2015 NGNA National Dues - $110, $95 for seniors and $65 for students.
- CM-NGNA Chapter dues - $20 (by the end of the first quarter) to Michelle Jones - Treasurer or now you can REGISTER ONLINE BELOW VIA PAYPAL
- *New members may join at $90 when 3 new membership applications are sent together
- *You must be a member of the National NGNA to be a member of the local chapter
- CM-NGNA Chapter will be starting a Brag book to highlight the chapters' activities; we will be looking for information on members, pictures, etc.
Let's Get Certified - RESOURCES
ANCC Gerontological Nursing Certification Test References
Gerontological Nursing Certification Review (Excerpt from Reference Text)
ANCC Gerontological Nurse Exam Registration Form 2011 (most current version)
Membership and Donations
Join the Carolina Mountain NGNA Chapter of the National Gerontological Nursing Association!
Nurses throughout Western North Carolina, Upstate South Carolina, and East Tennessee are invited to join the Carolina Mountain NGNA chapter of the National Gerontological Nursing Association. Nurses throughout our region care for aging adults and promote healthy aging every day, but many don't belong to the one professional nursing organization which focuses specifically on caring for older adults, the National Gerontological Nursing Association.
In September 2010, we issued a call inviting nurses to join us as members of the National Gerontological Nursing Association and help form a regional chapter of the NGNA. Carolina Mountain NGNA is now chartered as an official chapter of the NGNA. We meet four times a year at 3:30pm on the 2nd Thursday of February, May, August and November. Meetings are held at Pardee Hospital, 800 North Justice Street, Hendersonville NC 28791 in the Video Conference Room. Parking is free and meetings end by 5:00 p.m., so you can drive home before dark in most months. NGNA membership benefits include the nursing journal Geriatric Nursing. Pardee is an approved provider, so nursing CE contact hours are awarded for Carolina Mountain NGNA continuing education programs.
Nurses can join NGNA for $90 if new applications are mailed in groups of three. Contact membership chair Michelle Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application. Applications sent to Michelle will be bundled and mailed to NGNA in groups of three for the $90 new member rate. Full-time nursing students can join for $65 with a copy of a student ID card. Carolina Mountain NGNA chapter dues are $20 per year.