The NGNA list server is just one of many benefits available to NGNA members! Have you ever needed an immediate answer to a perplexing industry-related question? Have you ever been curious how other institutions handle certain situations? Have you ever had to research issues relating to best practices? The NGNA list server is just the place to post questions and receive responses via e-mail from other NGNA members. The NGNA list server is restricted to only current NGNA members. Please contact the NGNA National Office.
What is a mailing list?
A mailing list is a discussion group that occurs via mass e-mail distribution. Rather than carrying on a conversation with one person via e-mail, you can communicate with a large group of peers in an open forum through the convenience of e-mail.
What can I talk about on the list?
Conversations on a mailing list should be relevant to the list you are contributing to. It is considered rude and inappropriate to discuss personal matters in such a public forum. Keep in mind that when sending a message to the list, it is sent to all of the individuals who are list subscribers, which could be thousands of people.
What is list server?
A list server is the software that manages the mail list. The list server takes care of subscriptions, message processing, and list management. As a user, you should rarely hear anything from list server. If you receive a message from the administrator, please pay attention to the contents of the message.
- Only registered ListServ members may post and receive messages from the ListServ
- Messages may contain text or HTML
- Only the following attachments are allowed – MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Adobe PDF – all other attachments will be stripped from the message, however the message will still be posted to the list.
- Important: The REPLY button addresses your message to the entire Listserv.
To send your message to a specific person, you will need to retype that person's address in the 'TO' field when you reply. Otherwise, a reply intended for specific individuals will, instead, go to the entire list.
- To access the NGNA Listserv Archives, click here. You will need a Listserv Archives username and password to access previous listserv posts. Click here to create this account.
NGNA reserves the right to temporarily or permanently discontinue the list with or without notice. NGNA will not be liable to you or any third party for any modification, suspension, or termination of the list.
As with any community, there are rules governing behavior on email discussion lists. If you do not understand any of the rules of conduct and need clarification, contact the list administrator. NGNA does not actively monitor the list for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to NGNA's attention, then NGNA, in its sole discretion, may take any and all appropriate action. Violation of a rule shall result in the following actions: 1st violation – written warning; 2nd violation – loss of ListServ privileges for one year. No exceptions.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Don't post job openings. The NGNA Career Center is available for this purpose.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the ListServ is available for all members to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a ListServ message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
- Remember that NGNA and other Listerv participants have the right to reproduce postings to this ListServ.
The following guidelines are not intended as rules or requirements for participating in the list. Instead, they are general tips for participating in electronic mailing lists in a responsible and courteous manner.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using your e-mail application's forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the e-mail address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the ListServ. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
Questions regarding membership or administrative issues should be submitted directly to ListServ staff.
The Legal Stuff
This ListServ is provided as a service of the National Gerontological Nursing Association (NGNA). NGNA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. NGNA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by NGNA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall NGNA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants NGNA and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
NGNA prohibits the posting of messages facilitating or encouraging members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or indirectly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects will not be allowed: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
NGNA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to NGNA's attention, NGNA will take all appropriate action. NGNA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.